Using By and Until in English, Using by, using until, Difference between by and until;
No later than time. Something happens by a time in the future.
- Please send me the report by Saturday.
- We need to be there by noon.
- He had promised to be back by four o’clock.
- Job applications must be received by the 22th April.
- I sent the documents to them today, so they must receive them by on Friday.
Up to, but not after, a specific time. To say how long a situation continues.
- I will stay until four o’clock.
- Are you going to work until 11:00?
- Until my father came home, I read a book.
- I could not get up this morning. I stayed in the bed until eleven.
- That’ll just have to wait until next week.
- No dessert until after you finish your dinner.